[oletrucks] HEI Spark Gap Question

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] HEI Spark Gap Question
From: Bill Bailey <billb@gamewood.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 07:16:02 -0400
I went to change the plugs in my truck this weekend and noticed something
that surprised me.  The engine is a small block (350) that has a factory
HEI distributor on it. I do not know what it came from as it was in the
truck when I bought it.
When I took the first plug out I noticed that it was gapped at 0.035" which
seems small to me.  With HEI I would have expected around 0.060".  I am
wondering if the engine originally had breaker points and some PO changed
to HEI and didn't re-gap the plugs.  What would  be the result of a gap
that is too small? The electrodes have some wear and dry muck on them that
I would associate with mileage.  The engine runs good except every now and
then it sounds like a cylinder might not fire completely, a hiccup kind of
thing.  That is what prompted me to change the plugs.  I've always had
trouble with the exhaust smelling too rich no matter how much I adjusted
the mix.  Could a small gap cause this?(thinking the spark might not be
burning off all the fuel)
I'd appreciate any enlightenment that anyone could give me
Bill Bailey
http://members.tripod.com/~oltruck