[oletrucks] Re: 216 Cruising speed

To: "oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Re: 216 Cruising speed
From: "Mac Kinghorn" <kinghorn@granite.mb.ca>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 18:36:02 -0400
These engines are somewhat of a long stroke unit and really don't like to
rev that much.  If you look at them in there stock format where they are
running with standard tires and rearend they are quite comfortable at about
40 to 45 mph and no more or they sound like they want to self destruct.
>From playing and experience it would seem that you want to stay under 3000
rpm at crusing speed and preferably in the area of 2400 to 2800 so that you
are still well in the power band giving you the torque that you need to pull
away and pass but yet still get some fuel economy.  I am currently running
3:08 gears in a transplanted rearend from a 1967 Chev 1/2 ton and 215/75X15
tires.  My cruising rpm at 60mph is in the area of 2600 rpm with an
equivalent gas mileage of about 18 to 20 mpg.

Mac