[oletrucks] quick wiring question

To: "'oletrucks@autox.team.net'" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] quick wiring question
From: "Border, Ryan" <rborder@fcxena.fc.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 10:04:16 -0600
A couple of days ago, my suspicion that the charging system on my truck may
not be functioning was confirmed when it stranded me; a quick jump got it
going again.

Before ripping out components (alternator/regulator) to have them tested,
I'm wondering if maybe I've just wired the thing wrong.  Rather than attempt
ascii graphics, I hacked together a quick diagram of how I've got it at:

http://home.earthlink.net/~rborder/truck/altwire.gif

I've got a 3 wire alternator, and a 3-prong external voltage regulator.  The
main output on the alternator is obvious (the big terminal).  The other two
connections are via a plug- originally with blue and white wires on it (I'm
guessing it's a circa '72 alternator out of a chevelle).  Field is marked on
the alternator (the blue wire), I forget what the pole with the white wire
is labelled as.  I believe the alternator is grounded via it's mounting to
the engine.

Does this look right?

Thanks-
Ryan.