Re: [oletrucks] Horses For Courses

To: <Hudson29@aol.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Horses For Courses
From: "jack halton" <safesix@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 22:06:34 -0400
Paul,

    From this and your previous issues on bearings etc, it sounds as if you
are at a real decision point. If you decide to stay with the 235, you are
into it so far now that rebuilding is the only way to go. New cam bearings,
without question, if you replace the cam. The price quoted for crank work
and bearings sounds pretty good.

    You haven't mentioned anything about the top end. A good valve job,
boring and honing, pistons and rings are probably in store. You can up the
compression a bit, add an RV cam and improve breathing with a small 4-barrel
carb and headers - and maybe, with the right gearing, achieve your goals of
65 - 70 cruising and pulling El Cajon at 45. But probably not towing a
trailer with motorcycles. And A/C?!

    Even devoted Inliner that I am, I would think that you would be better
off with a V8 if these are your priorities. The 3600 is a pretty hefty lump
to pull around for starters, and with the added weight  (at least 1500 lbs
?) of a loaded trailer, you would be asking a lot of even a healthy 235.

    You don't mention any accompanying upgrades to chassis, brakes, gearing
etc, but whether you decide on a 6 or V8, the kind of use you are describing
is not really too practical without some serious thought to improving the
basic truck suspension and safety. Remember, there' s a pretty steep grade
on the other side of El Cajon!

    Certainly all the above can be accompished, given enough time and $$.
Would it still be an "Old Truck"? Depends on how you look at it. Would you
be better off buying a newer truck and keeping the old one for local
cruising? Probably dollar-wise, you would.

    Keep us posted.

Jack / Winter Park FL