[oletrucks] 6400 with a 396 BBC

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net, Viggo.Holt@kvaerner.com
Subject: [oletrucks] 6400 with a 396 BBC
From: FRVT83E@prodigy.com ( MIKE BOTELER)
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 22:41:22, -0500
>>Hi,
Iīve just replaced the 261 with a 396 ( 1969) in my 6400 HD wrecker.
Anyone
have experience with the org. 4-speed trans dealing with the 300HP
from the
396? Do Chevy delivered other trans with PTO facilities ( in the
sixties?)
"designed" for the 396 output?<<

Chevy used this trans into the late 60's it should handle 300hp ok!

>>Will a later trans fit to the original propeller shaft and hand
brake arrangement?<<

Hand brake is attached directly to hardware cast on the trans rear
cover ie: not removable.

>>I friend told me that I can only
use the 2-speed rear end while running when shifting up, not if you
want to
shift down....Then you have to stop the truck, activate the 2-speed
and go
ahead..Is this true..?<<

Not true....you can "Split Shift" down if under load going up hill.
The only time you can't is when slowly rolling up to a light, ie: no
load!  I Split Shift all the time!

>>Doesnīt make sense since itīs the huge step between
3. and 4. th gear I need the 2-speed for when hill climbing (
shifting from
4.th high to 4.th  low..)<<

99% of the time I start off in 2nd low then go to 3rd low and 4th low
and while still accelerating pull up on rear switch (high rear), when
ready to shift just let up on the gas for a split second to release
the load and step right back down and now I'm in 4th high.  Top
cruising speed is about 70 mph!

>>Regards

Viggo
Oslo<<

I hope this helps!
Mike B. '56 8400 Wrecker  :)  Holmes 525 Twin Boom