RE: [oletrucks] Mulling It Over

To: "Oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Mulling It Over
From: "Kevin D. Pennell" <pennellkd@f-a-s-t.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 00:18:21 -0400
Hi Paul.  Listen please, to this humble opinion:

  I'm here now to tell you that I've learned something of the wisdom (and
sick humor) behind some of life's catchy little phrases in really big
ways... For example, try this one: It can't possibly get any worse!!!  I'm
sorry to break the news, but "IT CAN!!!"  Don't send good money after bad.
Stop, re-group, and fix the thing right from the git go.  --or--  Break out
the Model 1911-A1 .45 and place one well aimed shot...   It'll be cheaper
and less painful for both of you in the long run...  Bury the old 235 with
appropriate honors for service above and beyond...  Then go find that motor
of your dreams and spend your money on IT!!

  From what you've written, if you want to keep the 235 your best bet is to
re-evaluate the budget and slow down the time frame, or hope you're really
lucky...  (I've tried the hoping for luck part...  It just don't work!)  If
you think a little about the effect that each blunder you've listed would
have on it's respective component, (Not to mention wondering just what the
nimrod was working on when he made the blunder) then add them all
together...  Well, you really need to start from scratch and make sure that
all is well...   One step at a time...

  The things that you really can't afford to do now,  will definitely rear
their ugly heads at some later point in time,  ensuring that you will pay at
least double when you can least afford it!  Sometimes by means of a pound of
flesh...  As a wise old friend of mine has repeatedly told me for years(Yes,
he's a professional mechanic):  "You can pay me now...  Or PAY ME LATER!!!"
(He's added this under his breath each time---  I prefer later, it's more
lucrative!!! HEEhehehehe...)

Good luck, Yours Kevin
59' Apache 38/NAPCO

>>>snip>>>On the issue of the fuel pump, I did see someone (think it was
Stovebolt)
that sells a fuel pump hole cover plate, so that you can install an electric
pump.  If that is all that is wrong with the cam, do it; taking the cam out
& replacing the bearings takes a special bearing insert tool & either the
engine needs to be out of the truck or the grill removed for frontal access.

Regards,
Doug Pewterbaugh

From: Hudson29@aol.com <Hudson29@aol.com>

>    Well, fellow oletruckers, having a few weeks to mull this old 235
>situation in my mind has done wonders. Last night, Jack Daniels and I had
had
>a good talk and the problem sorted itself into several distinct areas.
>    To refresh this sorry story in your minds, I purchased a used '59 235
>that one of our oletruck listees had surplused in the course of his V-8
>upgrade project. The motor was running sweetly as recently as last Dec.,
and
>had even returned 22 mpg in a '50 AD 3100. Upon inspection, the motor had
>certain suspicious characteristics indicating it had had the mechanical
>attentions of a first class moron (not our fellow listee but somebody
further
>back in the food chain), and disassembly revealed a bent pushrod, broken
>bolts, stripped screws, butchered engine front plate, worn out set of main
>bearings, worn cam, marginal rod bearings, rod nuts of mixed parentage and
>generally poor assembly quality.
>    Well, by no particular logic, Jack Daniels and I have decided to stay
>with this 235 -- for now. It ran well, and probably will again once certain
>lower end problems are sorted out. I know certain Doubting Thomases
wiseacres
>on this list (and in my head) have warned that the upper end is uncertain
>too, but I guess lightening can't strike twice -- can it? I will repair the
>trouble I have found, put the motor back together, and drive the darn
truck.
>I can look for that perfect 261 to mate to the perfect T-5 trannie (or
other
>powerplant) after the beast will actually move on it's own.
>    OK, that was decided somehow, so now I am going to pull the crank and
>measure it. As was suggested on this list, mebbe new mains can be fitted
and
>that will be the end of it. If the crank needs machine work then it will be
>new mains and rods.
>    What to do about the cam? The fuel pump lobe is deeply gouged, and if
the
>cam is replaced, I understand that the bearings must also be changed out.
Is