Re: [oletrucks] Fenton exhaust manifolds (was heat,

To: "Allen L. Jones" <ALJ@hartcrowser.com>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Fenton exhaust manifolds (was heat,
From: Thomas Allen <thomasa@halcyon.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 07:28:30 -0700
I had to custom make the keepers too, since I couldn't cut enough of the
bosses away.

-Tom Allen
51 3800

At 10:18 AM 8/23/99 -0700, Allen L. Jones wrote:
>An alternate method is to selectively cut or add (via Mig) to each side of
the keepers at each stud location.  It's a pain also, and it results in
each keeper being custom to each stud, but works well in the end.  Fenton
sure didn't talk to Offenhauser when they designed the dang casting.....

>Just a Head's-up on Fenton installation: Be prepared to do some work with a
>hacksaw and a grinder to make the exhaust manifold fit. The bosses for the
>retaining bolts are WAY to thick for use with an offy manifold. Patrick
>advises that there may be some grinding of the offy intake manifold to make
>it clear the exhaust manifold but he doesn't say anything about the
>mounting bosses. Plan at least an additional 1-1/2 hrs to do the trial and
>error fitting of the manifold. If Patrick really does have rights to the
>casting process he'd be well advised to modify the molds so that they mate
>with the offy manifold since that's what he sells. In general I was
>inimpressed with the quality of the castings, though that's the foundry's
>problem. Prtick might lean on them a little to improve things.
>
>-Tom Allen
>51 3800
>
>At 02:52 PM 8/20/99 -0600, David G Shier wrote:
>>Thanks much!
>>Dave Shier
>>
>>jack halton wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Dave,
>>>
>>>     You could check with Patrick but I doubt he would have anything like
>you
>>> describe, though I think he does have reproduction rights from the Fenton
>>> estate at least for headers.  But it shouldn't be that difficult to
>>> fabricate an aluminum plate for the bottom of the manifold. And copper
>>> tubing would be fine for the header tubes.
>>>
>snip--->
>Tom Allen
>Seattle, WA

Tom Allen