Re: [oletrucks] 305 Heads in 283

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 305 Heads in 283
From: TORODRVR@aol.com
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 11:12:56 EDT
In a message dated 08/23/1999 8:27:06 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
phippsj@camalott.com writes:

<< My question, if anyone could help me, is will the 305 heads work on the
 283?  I know 283 heads are very difficult to find, at least around here.
 The rest of the engine needs considerable work too.  I'm wondering if I
 should maybe try to find a good 305 or 350 to replace the 283, since it
 isn't original to my truck anyway. >>

The 305 heads should work fine on the 283, as long as they're in good shape.
Both engines used smaller combustion chambers than 350's do. If you had a set
of 283 heads, you'd need to install exhaust valve seats to run unleaded gas.
The 305 heads already work ok with unleaded.
As far as finding a different engine, if you find a cheap 305 that doesn't
need a rebuild, don't be afraid of it. My 305 is doing so well that I may
never get around to building a 350 as I originally intended. Parts for a 350
are the cheapest you can get, so if you are going to rebuild anyway, get a
350. Northern Auto Parts sells an engine kit for the 350 for $154.95. That
includes pistons! You won't find a comparable price for any other engine.
Well, that's MHO.

Mike Jensen
'48 1/2 ton 5-window (305 powered)