Re: [oletrucks] '58 Chevy- Front End Work

To: "Kurt L Kraisinger" <KJK1@PRODIGY.net>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] '58 Chevy- Front End Work
From: "Steve Bobst" <mailman@netins.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 09:10:19 -0500
Hi Kurt,

I have one under my 56 Chevy 1/2 ton.  I installed it myself with very
little trouble.  I believe the one I have is from a 76 or 77 Volare'.  Just
measure, measure, measure.  All you need to do is "notch the frame" and weld
the sub in.  No need to cut it in half.  At one time there was a company in
CA. selling templates showing exactly where the frame need notched to make
the process even easier.  You will have to fabricate new motor mounts (make
sure you have room for the ps, it is a close fit on mine).  You will also
want to remove the crossmember that the transmission mounts to on the
original frame. (I didn't, but wish I did).  I also boxed the frame for a
little additional support.
   I sold my extra one (too many projects, not enough time, time to clean
the shop) last weekend for $50.
   If you want to see what one looks like, you can road trip to Des Moines
and take a look at mine.
   I'd be glad to answer any questions that I can.

Steve