[oletrucks] RE: 49 3600 Upgrade

To: "'rick petty'" <my49@usa.net>, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] RE: 49 3600 Upgrade
From: Terry Stellman <STELLMAN@noex.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 09:51:53 -0500
Rick,

I will jump in here and add my opinion so take it for what it is worth.  I
have a 49 3600 also that I modified but tried to leave it 'look' as original
as possible.  I went with the Nova/Camaro front subframe because it was
cheap and I didn't really know of any alternative except the high priced
kits that they sell in the magazines.  I wouldn't recommend it to anyone
else if they had access to a Pacer subframe from what I have read since.  I
think the bolt-in method is the way to go because it saves all the hassle of
cutting, and welding, and reinforcing, and re-attaching the radiator cross
member, and on and on.  The biggest advantage of the Nova/Camaro method,
next to the cost, is that it is already setup for the V8 and automatic
transmission.

I also went the Nova rear end and I don't have any complaints in that
department.  It was cheap ($100) and parts are readily available.

As far as what might be worth anything off your old truck,  I personally
didn't see much value in most everything I took off of mine except for the
rear brake drums and emergency brake cables.  I guess everything else is in
the eye of the beholder.  Good luck.

Terry Stellman
1949 3600
Missouri City, Texas