[oletrucks] A couple of headliner questions....

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] A couple of headliner questions....
From: Jay Duncanson <jay@duncanson.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 17:15:48 -0700
I wish I had another truck here to inspect, so I wouldn't have to be
asking these kinds of questions...  :)

I ordered a cardboard headliner set for a late '49 from Chevy Duty,
but it arrived bent and creased, so they're exchanging it for another.

However, when I held it up to the cab roof I  realized I needed to
know a few things. For example, the bar that goes across the center
of the cab has a bunch of holes drilled in it, some obviously by the
previous owner(s), and a couple that are apparently original (near
the center of the bar).

Do the headliner pieces screw directly to this bar, or is there
another piece that screws to the bar to hold the headliner up? Is the
"headliner retainer" listed in the catalogs the bar itself, or a
separate piece that attaches to the bar?

Secondly, the cab bar appears positioned too far toward the front of
the cab for the headliner pieces, at least judging by the way the
pieces are cut. They sure don't appear to fit the cab roof without
some significant cutting. But if they have to be radically cut, why
the carefully cut screw holes on one side of the cardboard pieces and
obviously shaped edges at the other? The cab bar appears to be in the
correct cab location, at least judging by the indents in the sheet
metal where the bar connects to the cab above the door opening.

I actually photographed the cab roof and sent the photos to Chevy
Duty for their review when I ordered the headliner kit, and they said
yup, I needed the late '49 kit. But somethin' shore seems wrong
here...

I checked the archives for headliner info and got some good
installation tips, but these questions remain.

Thanks for any help, folks...

Jay Duncanson                              jay@duncanson.com