RE: [oletrucks] 2 1/2 ton model numbers

To: dbconst@jps.net, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] 2 1/2 ton model numbers
From: FRVT83E@prodigy.com ( MIKE BOTELER)
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 20:56:50, -0500
>>Hello Mike,

You are the first person I have met with knowledge of my truck.

Thank you

What is the difference between a COE and a standard cab?

How can I tell what motor is in? 235 or ?

I have had a hard time finding brake and axle parts? any suggestions?

In the door it says 16,000 GVWR? Does that mean it is a 2ton?

Thanks in advance

David<<

David, a COE is a Cab Over Engine truck and has about an 18" hood and
was made from 1939-1955 1st series.  A pickup truck has a standard
cab (long hood).  The 1-1/2 ton and up trucks shared hoods with the
pickups but all other front end sheet metal is different.  In the TF
years (55 2nd to 59) the COE was not made instead they made a LCF
(Low Cab Forward) which has a hood that is about 3/4th's as long as a
standard pickup hood and the front wheel openings cut back into the
doors.  In 1960 the COE was reintroduced as a tilt cab if memory
serves me correctly!

I don't know much about the 235's, ask the list for help there!

Big truck parts can still be had from your local BIG TRUCK parts
store.  Brake shoes can be relined, drums can be turned, wheel
cylinders, adjuster nuts, springs and rubber hoses all bought new,
rebuild kits for master cylinder etc. I just did all of the above on
my wrecker!

>From what I can tell the 1-1/2 ton trucks were rated at 14,000 or 16,
000 GVW and the 2 tons were 19,500 or 21,000 GVW.

What series is your truck, ie; 4100, 4400, 6100, 6400 or 6500?

Regards,

Mike B. '56 8400 Wrecker  :)