Re: [oletrucks] Is this truck in reasonable condition?

To: auserm@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Is this truck in reasonable condition?
From: miq@teleport.com
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 16:55:52 -0700 (PDT)
Mike Auser says:

> Before I start putting money into my 1952 Chevy 1/2 ton, I would like to get
> the opinions of those who are no strangers to body work.  I've created a
> little web site that shows the areas of concern on the truck.  Please have a
> look and let me know what you think -

Just from the pictures alone it is hard to make a proper judgement, but I'd
say the tailgate is a total loss, cheaper to replace it at the point it is
at.  The stress cracks in the fender can be welded up easily, as can the
cab corner being patched.  The floors are a typical replacement.

If the frame is sound, and the engine and hydraulics work, it's a no
brainer to say go for it.

If the sheetmetal elsewhere is a straight as the pictures seem to show,
then you have about a week to ten days of metal repair to deal with the
damaged sections (floor, cab corner, fender crack).  Figure $35 an hour
times 50 hours or so:  $1800 if you pay to have it done.  Using that figure
you can easily convince yourself that it would be lots cheaper to buy the
tools and do it yourself.

Then you get to prep the rest of the truck.......

--
__
Miq Millman   miq@teleport.com