[oletrucks] [Fwd: 216-235 swap blues]

To: "'Chevy Trucks'" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>, wderbidg@micron.net
Subject: [oletrucks] [Fwd: 216-235 swap blues]
From: Paul Blosser <paulblosser@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 00:44:34 -0500
--------------D2BBEA56325727DCC5FA3C2E

Can somebody that knows more about the 235/216s help Warren out?

Thanks,

Paul Blosser
1954 3100

--------------D2BBEA56325727DCC5FA3C2E

From: Warren Derbidge <wderbidg@micron.net>
Newsgroups: alt.autos.rod-n-custom
Subject: 216-235 swap blues
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 22:42:52 -0600

Help!  I tried to fire up my truck but the starter will not engage the
ring gear.  I used the 216 bell housing to retain the original mounts in

my '52 Chevy 1/2 ton.  The machine shop pressed a new ring gear onto the

235 flywheel because the old one was chewed up.  I used the 235 flywheel

and had the starter motor rebuilt to run on 12 volts.  The floor button
starter has been retained.  I tried to start it this afternoon, but the
starter gear just noisily spins on the front edge of the ring gear.  It
appears that the ring gear is just slightly too large.  Is that because
it is 235 flywheel or because the machine shop pressed on the wrong
gear?  Should I track down a 216 flywheel and will that solve my
problem?  I gave away the old engine, flywheel, trans and rear end.
Does anyone out there know if the 235 and 216 had different flywheel
diameters?  The shop that rebuilt the starter tells me there are no
smaller diameter starter gears to solve my problem, and I really don't
relish the idea of dropping the drive line, transmission, clutch and
pressure plate to change the flywheel if I can avoid it.  Any
suggestions?

--------------D2BBEA56325727DCC5FA3C2E--