[oletrucks] 6v Voltage Regulators

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net, old-chevy-truck@onelist.com
Subject: [oletrucks] 6v Voltage Regulators
From: Hudson29@aol.com
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 14:26:45 EDT
    I have another GM vehicle (not a truck, but it should have a broadly
similar system) with a 6v voltage regulator that has been acting funny. I
have tried to purchase a replacement, but my usual sources have come up dry.
I recall from my youth that old time motor mechanics used to repair and
adjust these units rather than replace them.
    The headlights switch from bright to a dimmer setting with a clicking
sound. This has happened the 3 or 4 years that I owned the car and I lived
with that. Over the last 6 months the problem has gotten worse. Now the
ammeter cycles between the center (needle showing neither charge nor
discharge) and full charge (needle pegged at +) randomly. The needle can
reside in these positions for extended periods, sometimes upwards of an hour.
The battery naturally went flat over time and had to be recharged.
    Can I fix or adjust my existing voltage regulator? The motors manual has
some info on testing the units but how are they repaired or adjusted?

Paul O'Neil, Hudson29@aol.com
1951 Chevrolet 3600 Pickup Project, See it at:
The Poor Man's Advanced Design Tech Tips Page
http://home.earthlink.net/~conntest47/
Fullerton, California USA
AEROMARK - Need Rubber Stamps or Signs? See:
www.aeromark.net