[oletrucks] Re: Wheels and tires on a 3600

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Re: Wheels and tires on a 3600
From: Tim Seawolf-Self <tim@route66autoclub.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 22:22:49 -0700
Hi, Mark et al

My '59 3600 came with 17" lock ring wheels, on the front.
One of the wheels had a 17.5" tire mounted on it, which I have been told,
can be unsafe.  Your wheels are probably 17.5", but you may want to check
and see if you have 17.5" tires, on 17" wheels.

I happen to like the looks of the original lock ring wheels and large tires
and the ones that it had on it did not rub.  So, at great expense, I
purchased an additional set of 17" lock ring wheels, which, at great expense
I had sand blasted and powder coated.  I bought, again at great expense, a
couple of 7.50x17 tires and put them on the wheels, myself.

That is an additional nice feature about the lock ring wheels is that you
can work on them yourself, as far as dismounting, flat fixing, and
remounting.  Unless, the old tires are stuck to the wheels, which of course
mine were, so , I had to, at great expense, pay to have them removed.  I
used the recommend vegetable based detergent for mounting the new tires, so
dismounting should not be a problem, in the future.

Now, just one problem, they rub.  Not only does the wheel rub, on the
drivers side, but the brand new tire rubs.  The problem was that the wheels
that I had, at great expense, powder coated, have a different setback/offset
than the wheels that came on the truck and I did not notice it.  Who would
have thought that lock ring wheels would have different setbacks.

The solution to that problem was to instal, at you guessed it, additional
great expense, a wheel spacer, which seems to have solved the problem.

Tim
tim@Route66AutoClub.com
1951 GMC
1952 F**D F-1
1964 F**D Falcon [4-sale]
1964 Chevy Nova Super Sport [Not 4-sale]
1957 International S-150 Stake/Dump
1958 Chevy Apache 3100 NAPCO 4X4 "Lurch"
1959 Chevy Apache 3600 Fleetside
1959 Chevy Viking    6000  1-1/2 ton
http://www.Route66AutoClub.com/