Re: [oletrucks] Frame Painting Advice

To: jnelson@paducah.k12.ky.us, oletrucks@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Frame Painting Advice
From: "K & B" <apache58truck@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 1999 14:10:15 EDT

>3) Buy spray paint equipment and the paint and learn to do it myself. If I
>go this route, will I have to build some type of spray booth or can I do
>the
>painting outside?
>
>Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, TIA.
>
>Jeff Nelson
>Paducah, KY
>1953 3600

Jeff-  I've gotten so much from this list that I'm glad when I get to post
something I'm familiar with!

As for painting the frame of... what is going to be just a daily driver, I'd
say just go for your own option #3.  I've done a lot of painting outside as
long as the temperature and moisture conditions are right.

The frame is a good thing to learn on too, because once the cab and bed are
remounted... you will not see any small mistakes you might make during the
learning process.  Just get nice equipment (compressor, water separator,
spray tool) and good quality paint and you'll be ok!  Sometimes I even
"build" a tent over what I'm painting just in case there are birds flying
overhead! (I live near the ocean and seagulls can make a mess of a newly
painted surface real fast!) I use a very large tarp, tent poles and a large
rope tied between trees to act as a support ridge the length of the tarp.

One tip I'd also like to send your way... (since you're new to spray
painting):  Paint using several (to many) light coats rather than trying to
get the job done in a "thick one coat" method. (Check product drying times
on the can too!) Multiple layers (or coats) of paint will go on much better
and last a lot longer than one or two thick ones!  <======= That's been my
experience anyway.  :-)

Good luck, Jeff-

Ken (Almost owner of two, as yet, fully unidentified Chevy pickups!)

K&B
Father & Son 1959 Apache Fleetside Truck Project in NJ
apache58truck@hotmail.com
Everyone asks:
Why the 58 in the e-mail address if the truck is a 59?
Our only reply:
When we bought it they told us it was a 58. When we
discovered it was really a 59... it was too late to
change the address! Plus, someday we might buy a 58 too! :-)
-