Re: [oletrucks] paint guns

To: miq@teleport.com
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] paint guns
From: charlie kish <ckish@ameritech.net>
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 1999 18:10:01 -0700
miq@teleport.com wrote:

> Jack Boedigheimer says:
> >
> > Just used one (Accuspray $129) for the primer on my truck. It is in
> > pieces and just got sandblasted so I was
> > shooting epoxy primer inside and out and everywhere. The gun did a very
> > nice job and there was a lot
> > less overspray. Working in the garage I could actually see what I was
> > doing with normal lighting. A guy had
> > to really try hard to get a run but maybe that was just the material. I
> > would advocate the HVLP guns but as
> > with any gun don't buy the cheap cheap ones or you will be sorry. Having
> > spent most of my time on the $40 specials, this one was an amazing
> > difference.
>
> Hear hear.  I have 4 guns, a $40 special that I use for latex and stains
> when doing furniture, it was my first gun that I bought for primer only.
> It sucks for finish, but wood generally isn't going for gloss, so that's
> what it's relegated to now.  The next one is a small over head cup
> Devilbiss gun, nice blue annodizing, rubber knurled knobs for adjusting,
> only holds 8 oz of paint but does a really nice job for quick projects or
> final touch up, it was $200 and you can tell by using it.  Then I have my
> two big guns, a standard style with a remote 2 quart reservoir that is
> great for the large jobs like primering an entire car.  It holds a lot of
> paint and you don't get fatigue from carrying it all on your hand.  I think
> the light weight of the mechanism is worth the added hassle at clean up.
> Again this was $130 and I've spent another $50-75 on various tips and an
> extension hose for the paint "bucket".  The last gun is an HVLP converter,
> I run it with my standard compressor but the psi is dialed back to 25, my
> compressor is large enough that it isn't an issue (7.5hp dual stage affair)
> but it could be with a standard 90 psi 5hp model.  This gun was $90 on
> sale at the local Napa, regularly $180--a demo model but likely unused when
> I got it.  It does a fabulous job, you would almost have to be a mannequin
> to screw up a job with this, once the spray is adjusted.  Also it uses
> about 70% of the paint to cover the same area.
>
> I've used one of the heated air turbine guns, very nice, did a great job
> but they run $450-600 for the setup.
>
> Consider that paint costs $60-$100 a gallon for the good stuff, and you can
> see that spending $200 on a good gun to avoid paint wastage is an easy
> payoff.
>
> My crappy gun can easily be misadjusted and dump the entire quart of paint
> onto something in a matter minutes.  Most of the paint is lost to mist in
> this case.  Many of the cheap guns have this problem.
>
> If you are going to go the route of do-it-yourself to save money, save
> yourself some frustration as well, and buy the best gun you can afford.
>
> The next time I paint, I am going to get a reservoir converter for my tiny
> gun, the converter is $60 and is only a pint, but its better than the cup,
> [...]
Miq-I had spent fifteen years in body shops in heavy repair though we
always had a genius that sprayed the color for us, we sent it to him
ready for primer.  I have sprayed and can paint when I truley have to
and do a reasonable job of it.  Could you tell me, are your spraying
techniques much different with the different systems? Also what do you
think of the turbine system as one to try to eliminate the moisture in
the air lines that plauge us in this part of the country?  How different
did that one spray from the old siphon type guns?  Thanks
Charlie
59 half step