Re: [oletrucks] Mustang II front suspension

To: Bob_Keeland@usgs.gov, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Mustang II front suspension
From: "dave riffel" <cafe_dave@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 16:23:01 PDT
Bob K. wrote:

Specifically, how much did the IFS
>         lower the front of your trucks, and who did you get the kit from?
>
>                 In considering a mustang II IFS I am concerned about
>ruggedness,
>         ride, and clearance.

Bob,  The Heidt's Must. II kit I used lowered the front of my truck 6" or so
at the front bumper.  Stock bumper height was 13" or 14" with 235/75/15
tires.  Must. II bumper height is 8" with 215/60/15 tires.  The rear end has
the stock suspension and ride height with 235/75/16 tires.  My biggest
problem with that bumper is that it scrapes the sidewalk when I pull out of
my parent's driveway.  This won't be good for a newly chromed bumper.

The Must. II front end is very rugged and will handle most conditions.  I've
put around 10,000 miles on my truck this summer (conversion completed last
spring) and have had absolutely no problems with the front end, or any of
the truck for that matter.  Miles have been mostly highway in Montana and
between Montana and California.  I've had the truck up over 100 mph and no
front end problems.  It will still go up the dirt roads, too, but just
doesn't have enough clearance.  So I go slow.  I would be concerned about
doing dirt roads with a load as I've had my truck loaded so the truck is an
additional 2-3" lower all around.  Running on the highway loaded at normal
speeds (65-75) is no problem.

Ride quality is a little stiff, which I don't mind.  I used the Mustang
torque rods.  This required them to be heated and bent to meet the truck
frame.  This mod is known to occasionally cause stiffness in the front
suspension.  I may try to fix this someday by using Heidt's tubular lower
A-arms.  I also used the V8 springs.  V6 springs might lower it more but
make the ride quality better.

Handling.  It used to handle like a soap-box derby racer with rope steering.
  Now it really handles!  Its highway ride is great and it corners much,
much better than it ever used to.  It really holds the road now and should
be even better with anti-sway bars front and rear.

I like the Must II front end.  It handles good, and the truck looks great
with a nice forward rake.  I wouldn't recommend it for an off road bound
truck or a heavy work truck.  But just for driving and for moderate loads
and off-roading it's great.

Hope this helps,

Dave Riffel