Re: [oletrucks] Automatic Transmissions

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Automatic Transmissions
From: SHAWN & JO <YOOPERWANNABE@prodigy.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 19:58:46 -0400
Terry Stellman wrote:

> Nothing important...just some information.
>
> Some time back there was a discussion on this list about the quality of
> different automatic transmissions such as the 700R4 (4L60E) with everybody
> looking for some sort of overdrive option these days.  Well, this article
> kind of reinforces some of the things brought up on this list previously.
>
> http://www.thegrid.net/thedrivetrainpage/whtobuy.htm

I checked this article out and while i have seen many of the mentioned
problems, I have also seen extreme reliability from some of the trannies
mentioned. The 700r4 I had from the "bad" 82-84 years had 230k onit
without a rebuild. Confirmed from family(bought brand new). I had a 87
F**d Bronco with the E4od that last 150k befor ebeing blown up by a
mechanic who couldn't do a tranny fluid change correctly and I have
experienced the "shudder" in the newer E40D's. A $250 drain and flush
change to synthetic fluid eliminated the shudder and has been good for
45,000 miles with no additional problems.
        I think its all in how you use and abuse your tranny. Regular
maintinance will certainly help keep problems in check.
Shawn