[oletrucks] And more questions about cleaning rust from inside of tank

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] And more questions about cleaning rust from inside of tank
From: CLLLSLS@aol.com
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 1999 22:36:38 EST
Hi,

Thanks to everyone that's helped me out so far. Apparently most any chemical
process for rust removal causes hydrogen embrittlement, so I'm stuck with
mechanical removal of the rust. I have access to a lathe that's large enough
to turn my 18" by 5' tank between centers, so I figure I'll throw some small
metal scraps in the tank and let it turn between centers for a while. But
what speed will remove the rust the fastest(14-400 RPM)? Are there any
formulas giving surface feet per minute for tumbling operations like this?
The lathe is a good old '36 Sidney that isn't made for continuous duty, so
I'd like to minimize the run time. Thanks ahead.

Dustin
50 & 53 GMC 1/2 tons