[oletrucks] 16" tires

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] 16" tires
From: soundex@eden.com (craig k)
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 1999 20:35:08 -0600
FWIW, we have a set of Trail Mark LT215/R85/16 M+S on the 50... these were
the tallest, skinniest tires our neighborhood independent could find. They
look real nice; almost as 'industrial' as the 30 year old 6.5x16s that we
had that were too cracked to run on the highway any more. BIG sidewall, BIG
tread - very truck like!  They have 4 plies on the tread and 2 on the
sidewall (I would have preferred a total of 8, but there ya go...).
Tireman said they were made by Bridgestone if I remember right: ran about
$86@. If you find a truck tire for cheaper, I wouldn't buy it - there's a
reason!
Our speedo runs as dead on the money as a stopwatch and the milemarkers
gets you - well, the ODOMETER does, somedays the speedo goes to 45 and
stays there a while :)
At 3000 rpm we are doing about 60, but I try to keep it at 2800, much to
other folks disgust. Babbit-pounder.

The radials made handling MUCH better; do NOT simply throw on any ol' tire,
get an LT or 6 ply+ tire. The stiffer tire will eliminate a lot of sidewall
flex, which helps keep you in your lane. Passenger tires just weren't made
for a tall, heavy piece of steel....

craig
caretaker of
stephanie's 50 3104 216 5-window deluxe