Re: [oletrucks] painting an engine

To: Bruce Marshall <bruce@shore.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] painting an engine
From: Ivana Tinkle <monadnoc@crystal-mtn.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 01:34:50 -0500
Bruce Marshall wrote:

> I'm about to install a "new" 216 engine in my '51 1/2 ton pickup.
> Today we washed it down with a heavy duty cleaner, wire brushed and pressure
> washed everything.
>
> Should I prime the motor with a primer before putting the engine paint on?

I painted the engine (Chevy 350) in my Chevelle with Plasti-Kote 500 degree high
temperature paint, several coats and it looks great.  No flaking, peeling or
other defects after a year and 3000 miles of weekend driving.  It was done to
the bare block before I built the engine.  I am very satisfied with their
products, and it's cheaper than buying engine enamel through Eastwood or other
mail order firms.  I did not use any primer, just made sure the block and heads
were clean and free of rust, grease, scale.  I wiped it down with acetone before
painting.

Wally
53 3100
72 Malibu