[oletrucks] Front Springs, Again......not so short.

To: rifeb@ttc.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Front Springs, Again......not so short.
From: VIKINGHILL@aol.com
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 15:31:01 EST
From:   rifeb@ttc.com

I am restoring a 46 1/2 ton. When you refurbished your springs, did you
dissamble the leaf members? What color and type of paint did you use?
  Bill Rife

Hi Bill,
Yes, when I redid my springs, (front), I diassembled each leaf, had them
blasted and then I ground a 45 deg angle onto the upper short edge that comes
in contact with the larger spring above it.  Then on the bottom of each leaf
I ground down smooth the little trench that the spring below had scratched .
It looked something like:
___/------------\______ where the lower spring had gouged into it with the
aforementioned edge.  It really is a surprise just how much of a ridge was in
the springs (the longer springs were worse).
What happens is that under normal movement of the spring the leaves on top
may only slide .75 inches or so with weight shifting or so.  Well after  40
yrs this ridge stops the lower leaf from moving any more than .75 inches.
(like when you hit a pothole).  Any way I used a nice thick engine paint
bombs. (black).
Any way I was amazed as to how clean the springs were. I am waiting for
someone to tell me if and how many leaves I can remove......
Tale care and PLEASE disassemble your leaves, replace the center pin/bolt as
well (at your FLAPS, got the rear zerk bolts and bushings there as well and
the shackle kits came from chevy duty.)
Take care and let me know how it turns out.
Casey
'47 Thriftmaster