[oletrucks] Steering gear rebuild

To: oletrucks list <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Steering gear rebuild
From: J Forbes <jforbes@primenet.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 1999 17:22:46 -0700
Hi...

I've changed out the busings in the steering box cover, it's not too
difficult.  You need a "cape chisel" to remove the old bushing,
basically this chisel is very narrow, and cuts a slot in the old
bushing.  Be carefull not to nick the hole that the bushing sits in.
Then, just pry the bushing out.  I learned this at the tranny shop,
where we had to remove similar bushings when working on automatic
trannys.

If your kit does not have the short bushing, you can use a lathe (or a
hacksaw if you're careful) to cut a long bushing to fit the cover.  GM
used to sell these bushings...I have an old box with the part number
somewheere around here!

Jim