Re: [oletrucks] Voltage reducer

To: Samsred72@aol.com
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Voltage reducer
From: Bill Bailey <billb@gamewood.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 17:58:23 +0000
It's probably working right, hot is a very subjective term but they do get
exteremely warm.  Amp draw on my fresh air (a 12 V motor) was about 4 amps as I
recall. That's 16 watts when drawn through a 1 ohm resistor. That'll get your
attention.  Your motor is a 6 V which means it would draw more than mine. If we
use mine as a reference and assume that they all present about the same load
(somewhat of a leap of faith) then yours would draw 8 amps (mine =12V x 4 amps
for 48 watts so yours would be 6V x 8 amps for 48 watts. That would mean the 1
ohm would dissipate about 64 watts ( 8amps x 8amps x
1ohm). If your reducer has a greater rating than that you are ok. But even so
it would be like putting your hand to a 60 watt light bulb..HOT!!
For more on this type of thing you can see my webpage which has an electricity
section that explains this in more detail.
http://members.tripod.com/~oltruck

Bill

--
Bill Bailey