[oletrucks] Re: [napco4x4] Axle seal surface.

To: napco4x4@onelist.com
Subject: [oletrucks] Re: [napco4x4] Axle seal surface.
From: larry jones <lajones@uswest.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2000 14:03:40 -0700
Kevin,
    I had my '57 axles metalized by a local machinist. He only charged me for
materials ($35.00) because he's a neighbor and a fellow car nut. A place in
Denver quoted me $125.00 a piece to do a flame spray process. My machinist
friend turned down the seal surface and applied a sintered metal product that is
very hard but is also brittle so you don't want to bang it on something before
it's installed. Then he polished the surface back to the original o.d. I haven't
installed the axles but I will report on whether or not they leak. On my other
NAPCO axles, the wear on the seal surface doesn't seem as bad and I'm going to
try them as is. The new seals, from Jim Carter or NAPA auto parts, appear to be
tight enough to make a seal. They also are a little thinner than the original
leather ones so they will ride on a different palce on the axle so that might
help. Good Luck.

Larry Jones