[oletrucks] shop ideas

To: oletrucks list <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] shop ideas
From: J Forbes <jforbes@primenet.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 09:20:49 -0700
Oh boy, we get to design a new shop!  First of all, 24' x 24' will be
WAY too small.  Mine is 30 x 44, and it is WAY too small!  Seriously, if
you can manage to keep all the other stuff out of the shop, such as
bikes, lawnmowers, Christmas decorating supplies, other cars, etc, then
you should be ok with that size to work on ONE truck.  My shop is laid
out with garage doors at both ends, one end is for parking (currently my
55 belair, 57 Suburban body, and a friend/customer's 40 P*nt**c), while
the rest of the shop is for working, and has the new chassis for my 57
in it now.  I also have a small room with the grinder, welder, and
press, plus another small area used as an office, with books, desk,
stereo, etc.  You need some benches, room for tools, plus room for all
the other equipment you will have to buy now that you have room for it!
I put my compressor (a big one) outside under a shed roof, and ran 3/4"
pvc pipe around the ceiling of the shop to distribute compressed
air...plus a fitting outside the shop for the sandblaster.  You will
want 120v outlets everywhere, and lots of lights (I have about 10 8ft
dual flourecents).  Also, you will want some 230v outlets, I have one on
either side of the work area for plugging in the welder.  If you will
run a 115v mig welder, add some 20 or 30A 115v outlets.  I do not have
any type of lift/hoist/crane built into the shop...instead, I have a
normal wheeled engine hoist so I can move it around.  I have windows in
my shop, we live out in the country so I'm not too worried about folks
breaking in.  I also have several other sheds that hold all the parts
I've acquired over the years.  Try to make it so that you don't turn
your workshop into a storage area.

Jim