Re: [oletrucks] Silent Stupidity

To: "G. Simmons" <gls@4link.net>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Silent Stupidity
From: "Deve Krehbiel" <dkrehbiel@kscable.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2000 22:46:38 -0600
Hesston Concrete in Hesston, KS is where I sand blasted the frame. I
tellya.. this wasnt no ordinary sand blaster... it had a HUGE diesel
generator/air compressor trailer attached to a rather large
compressor/hopper and then a fire hose style hose to the blast head. We are
talking mass quantities of sand output here. I went thru 4 55 gallon drums
of sand for just the frame (with front and rear ends attached). My blaster
helmet got so bad so quick I quickly got skilled in the art of blind
sandblasting. They charge $40 and hour if I do it and $60 and hour if they
do it. I felt I would have more control over the quality of the job if I did
it but it took twice as long so wasnt an economic factor.

I wouldnt much care how much it cost (within reason) since sandblasting is
the only option that makes sense. The same will go for the cab, bed, and all
sheetmetal. I am taking those to a place called Kansas Dry Stripping for
them to bead blast the entire enchilada inside and out. I hear they want
around $400 for that. In view of the headache of doing a half-fast job
yourself, why not get it done right? They can get under the dash and in lots
of tight places and I hear the danger of a chemical dip is the residual
chems leaking out of seams after painting and causing problems. I am getting
all this from a few body shop resources I have familiarized myself with
since my escapade with the wire brush deal! All opinions are really welcome
as I need all the help I can get!

Thanks!