Re: [oletrucks] 3rd Gear Ratio

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 3rd Gear Ratio
From: "Allen Jones" <jonesal@u.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 18:37:14 -0800
Thanks for the responses.  With a change to 3.55 gears in the rear axle and
215R85-16 tires (man, they are tall tires), my speedometer is WAY off.  I'm
making a poor person's speedometer by using my tachometer to tell how fast
I'm going.  It's an Excel spreadsheet that calcs a little RPM table based on
the gear ratios I have and speeds I want to go (in third and fourth gear
only) that I can hide above my visor.  I may buy a compensating box for the
speedometer when the tax return comes back (maybe not).  If anyone wants the
spreadsheet, ping me off list and I'll email it to you.  Turns out I'm
surprised I didn't get a speeding ticket on the highway 'cause my guess at
my real speed was awful (the 261 really hums along!).

Allen in Seattle
'50 3100