[oletrucks] Removing Rust From Small Parts

To: old-chevy-truck@onelist.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Removing Rust From Small Parts
From: Hudson29@aol.com
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 22:22:32 EST
    I have evolved a multipart system for removing rust from small parts.
First I wirewheel them to get the majority of the rust off and then make a
preliminary examination of the damage. The rust comes off pretty fast with
the wheel. Then I soak them in Eastwood's Oxisolve rust remover for a period
ranging from several hours to several days depending on the degree of damage.
They come out of the Oxisolve with a gray coating that prevents further rust
for the time being.
    At this point I wirewheel them again checking for condition. Some go back
for more Oxisolve, others for metal repair and some to be degreased in prep
for paint. The Oxisolve can be reused and has a pretty long life. My current
batch has been in irregular use for more than 5 years.

Paul O'Neil, Hudson29@aol.com
1951 Chevrolet 3600 Pickup Project, See it at:
The Poor Man's Advanced Design Tech Tips Page
http://home.earthlink.net/~conntest47/
Fullerton, California USA
AEROMARK - Need Rubber Stamps or Signs? See:
http://www.aeromark.net