[oletrucks] 65 GMC 305 v-6

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] 65 GMC 305 v-6
From: J Forbes <jforbes@primenet.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 19:59:54 -0700
Hi...welcome!  Yes, the 65 truck is too new for the list, but I'll give
some quick answers anyways.

I know a few guys with similar trucks (they all seem to be 65s), and I
had the straight six version several years ago (which I put a v-8 in, as
the 6 was shot).

The V6 is a heavy duty engine, and will last a long time.  You can get
parts for it, not as easy as a Chevy 350, but not too difficult either.
I've gotten water pumps, tune up parts, gaskets, etc thru the local
parts store, although some of it is overnight order.

Nothing on the V6 interchanges with any other engines.  If you decide to
swap to a v-8 in the future, you will have to get the right engine
brackets, bellhousing (or automatic tranny), different exhaust,
accessory brackets, etc.  Oh, and lighter front springs...that V6 weighs
a lot!

If you like the truck, you should consider buying it.  Remember that
longbeds are not real popular among hot rodders, but I've had one for
over 20 years and it is nice to be able to haul full sheets of plywood
and drywall with the tailgate closed.

Jim