Re: [oletrucks] Points/hei/efi

To: "Old Trucks List" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Points/hei/efi
From: "Jack Halton" <safesix@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 08:23:52 -0500
Very well said, Jim, and my feelings exactly. Mallory is one of those
well-respected old speed equipment names, and a Mallory decal looks cool on
the firewall, but getting rid of a non-vacuum Unilite was the single best
thing I ever did in getting my GMC 6 to run properly.

     Every engine is a little different, but vacuum advance will provide
additional "burn time" under any light load condition - idle and cruising
specifically. It's like a free lunch. Better fuel economy is the most
obvious improvement, but it also provides improvements in idle quality,
cooling, throttle response and driveability.  Sometimes the results are
subtle but often they are very noticeable. Of course if you run at WOFT all
the time, it's a different story.

I am especially leery of Mallory (and aftermarket ignitions in general)
after a module failure stranded me 600 miles from home. The "good ole boy"
who lent me a 216 points distributor from his junkyard on a Saturday
afternoon said " Y'know, if that'd been an HEI, we could just pick up a
module at the K-mart". HEI distributors may be too "modern-looking" for
some, but they get the job done.

Jack / Winter Park FL