Re: [oletrucks] Followup: valve adjust

To: <ADvent@thuntek.net>, "Thomas M OBrien" <tmobrien@juno.com>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Followup: valve adjust
From: "Lonnie L. Dickey" <mdickey@silverback.gorilla.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 21:42:12 -0600
HhhhMmmmm?

You may have lost some good mechanics. I have set lifters both
cold/still and hot/running. I am not sure which is 'best'. I have had
god results both ways. The cold/still technique was a response to
all of us who had seen enough hot oil squirting at us.

  I could argue either method. I do like the cold/still for the obvious
reasons of less burns and virtually no mess. However I might also
point out that a hot/running set will find a lifter (mostly hydrolic)
which is not operating properly. You can't 'see' this during a cold/
still(dry) process.

  I would agree with a recommendation to set the engine while it
is NOT running. I'd reserve the hot/running method for finding the
'bad' lifter and for the solid lifter cams.

Lonnie
PS Get a rocker oil clip set if you need to set the engine while running.
      It can virtually eliminate the mess. I also use a mechanic's
      stethoscope for the finer adjustments and noisy cars (loud mufflers
      and hot rods).