Re: [oletrucks] Off-sub HELP

To: SHAWN & JO <yooperwannabe@prodigy.net>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Off-sub HELP
From: Steve <m_toolman@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 20:53:28 -0800 (PST)
Yooper????  You wouldn't be from Michigan by any
chance?

My boss had a 4x8 trailer with an aluminum I beam
frame. He ran into some corrosion problems probablly
due to the salt here in Michigan. One of the I beams
started to "delaminate" is the only way I can describe
it.  Although it was over 20 years old at the time. We
replaced the corroded I beam and haven't had any
further problems, that was ten years ago.  I think you
will also have to take precations to prevent galvonic
corrosion anywhere steel and aluminum meet.

Some of the gravel trucks up here have gone to
aluminum beds to save weight.  Am interested in what
you find out.

--- SHAWN & JO <yooperwannabe@prodigy.net> wrote:
> I need a little help...
>     I'm going to build my own car hauler. I've got
> plans for a 18x84,
> 10,400# trailer built from mild steel.
>     I would like to reduce the empty trailer weight
> by possibly going to
> Aluminum instead of mild steel. What I need is a
> site or book etc that would
> tell me what size and thickness I would need in
> aluminum to substitute for
> the mild steel to keep the same strength as the mild
> steel. Example 2x3x1/8"
> mild steel would correspond to (?) 2x3x1/4" aluminum
> without sacrificing
> strength.....
>     Anybody got any hints tips warnings etc. I'm
> hoping to drop 600-800# off
> the trailer weight by making the switch, cost
> prohibitive of course. No
> sense making the switch if its going to cost me an
> extra $1000.
>     Thanks for any assistance....
> Shawn
>
> oletrucks is devoted to Chevy and GM trucks built
> between 1941 and 1959

Do You Yahoo!?