Re: [oletrucks] Points/hei/efi (cool discussion coming!)

To: "Jeff Davis" <jsd51@hotmail.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Points/hei/efi (cool discussion coming!)
From: "G. Simmons" <gls@4link.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 20:07:16 -0800
Well, Jeff,

I'm partial to the original iron too, but I can at least understand why
someone might prefer modern mechanicals, if only to be sure of being able to
get parts on a road trip.  The point of my comments was the problematic idea
(for me, anyway) of mixing old and new.

I was impressed with all the articulate responses defending mixing.  I would
say it has a lot to do with strong inclinations to express individuality .
I enjoyed the discussion because it really illuminates some of the different
ways we relate to our trucks, none of which is right or wrong.

I have a kind of sentimental, or even religious feeling about old vehicles.
If anyone thinks that's silly, I'll be the first one to agree, and in fact,
I often remind myself to lighten up and have fun.  But my basic response to
the object is that it is something which has been entrusted to me to bring
back to original/driveable condition so that it can be passed along to other
people, who will also consider themselves stewards, rather than consumers.

I like hearing from guys who feel no compunction about adding EFI or HEI if
the mood seizes them, because it reminds me that as much as we love our
trucks, the proper object of religious veneration lies elsewhere.

Regards,

Grant S. gls@4link.net