Re: [oletrucks] '76 Camaro clip job

To: Tom <tfvjr@snet.net>, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] '76 Camaro clip job
From: Byron Schluter <b_schluter@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 20:31:12 -0800 (PST)
What about installing an IFS kit from one of the many
engineering firms that advertise in Classic Truck and
Custom Classic Truck magazines?  These kits have
everything for installing an IFS based on the Mustang
II geomitry and you don't have to cut the front part
of the trucks frame off (I am really opposed to this
as a general rule).  Also, when you consider that most
clips will need to be completely rebuilt I think the
costs might be about the same for installing a Must.
II unit.

Just some food for thought.

Byron

--- Tom <tfvjr@snet.net> wrote:

> These questions are all really good one's that would
> be helpful to me, too.
> If anyone has a reply to the guy who posed them,
> please reply to the list so we
> may ALL benefit from your knowledge!
> Thanks!
> Tom Volpe
> '55 2nd, looking for a clip
> ...and more info!
>

>     Bill Bailey wrote:
>
> > Can anyone help this guy out? Reply directly to
> him..not to me. Thanks!
>
> > >I am looking for someone that can shed some light
> on installing a '76 Camaro
>
> > >front clip into a 55 second series pickup.
> Specifically, I am trying to find
> > >out the following information:
> > >
> > >If a person has a clip that is completely
> disassembled, where do you start?
> > >I have rebuilt the clip with the usual components
> but need to know once a
> > >person has established the ride height how do you
> establish the angles.
> > >
> > >When setting the A arms does a person start with
> the adjustments in the
> > >centermost position. i.e. shim to center so you
> have the most adjustment
> > >both directions?
> > >
> > >Do you compress the springs to ride height and
> set the camber to 0 degrees,
> > >upper and lower ball joints vertically aligned
> with shims as suggested
> > >above?
> > >
> > >What angle (if any) should the engine be and what
> are the angles of the
> > >drive shaft and the differential suppose to be?
> > >
> > >The engine is a 327 with a TH350 transmission.
> > >
> > >When done,  should I be using the alignment specs
> for the Camaro? If so
> > >would you happen to have this information. If not
> I am sure I can get it
> > >from the local alignment shop.
> > >
> > >I have read some artlcles on swapping clips but
> none of them that I have
> > >read has this information. They only refer to
> having the clip level but I
> > >have yet to determine at which point this level
> position is taken. Also, I
> > >have not seen any reference as to where the
> adjustments should be when
> > >starting, they  just refer to keeping it level so
> the caster and camber
> > >angles will be close. They don't take into
> account the fact that the shim
> > >positions may not be suitable for the application
> and that if they are left
> > >as is, you may not be able to reach the desired
> settings;
> > >
> > >Any information that you may be able to give me
> will be greatly appreciated.
> > >
> > >Thanks a bunch
> > >
> > >Gib
> > >
> > >You can either reply to author or reach me at
> gib@clipper.net
> > >

> > Bill Bailey
> > http://members.tripod.com/~oltruck
> > oletrucks is devoted to Chevy and GM trucks built
> between 1941 and 1959
>
> oletrucks is devoted to Chevy and GM trucks built
> between 1941 and 1959

Do You Yahoo!?