[Fwd: Re: [oletrucks] Water from steel (was originally about POR-15)]

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [Fwd: Re: [oletrucks] Water from steel (was originally about POR-15)]
From: Gene Davis <genedavis@tritel.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2000 21:29:59 -0700
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2000 21:20:55 -0700
From: Gene Davis <genedavis@tritel.net>
To: "G. Simmons" <gls@4link.net>

G. Simmons wrote:

Hi guys, I dont know where the water comes from for sure, but would bet
its atmosheric in origin.  I used to weld for a living and know that if
you want a good quality weld, especally on higher carbon steels, it is
important you preheat enough (>/= 300F)to get this water out of the
steel.  Youve seen a welded piece break right next to the weld (called
the heat affected zone) well, water makes this worse. Its called
hydrogen embrittlement.  The hydrogen comes from the water you see
leaving the steel when you warm it.  Using low hydrogen welding rod
(E7018 for example) helps.  Keeping your rod in a rod oven helps too.