Re: [Fwd: Re: [oletrucks] Water from steel (was originally about

To: Grant Galbraith <trks@javanet.com>
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: [oletrucks] Water from steel (was originally about
From: Gene Davis <genedavis@tritel.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2000 09:45:54 -0700
Grant Galbraith wrote:

>    I also used to do some welding on nuclear subs. I was under the impression
> keeping weld wire in ovens was to preserve the coating or shielding material
>on
> the rod.
>    The only steel we used to preheat was HY-80 used on the pressure hull and
> missile tubes.  I was under the impression that the reasoning here was to
>decrease
> the temp differential during welding. All high tensile and mild steel were
>welded
> cold (and I mean cold here in Ct.)

Right about only 7018 in the oven

Interesting about the sub welding.  We used to sleeve live pipelines
inservice, with fluid running through them and that is really when we
started preheating a bunch.  Fabbing pipe assemblies too. As you guys
said you could see water leaving the steel, more on some days than
others.  (why I think its atmoshereic) I wonder why we got so serous
about it w/ pipe welding and it dont seem to matter with submarine
welding.  I would like to know more.  Maybe we should take it off list
though, we're getting quite aways from oletrucks.