[oletrucks] Steering columns for NM Jim

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Steering columns for NM Jim
From: J Forbes <jforbes@primenet.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 06:53:42 -0700
The steering columns are not collapsible...that didn't happen until a
federal law was passed about 1967.  The shaft is one piece from the
bottom gear to the top where the nut threads on.  It started as two
pieces, and was welded together.

I have a tilt column in one of my 59s, using the original steering
gear.  I cut off the shaft near the top of the gearbox box, then filed
splines in it to match a ragjoint from a later vehicle.  It has been
working ok for 20 years...but it does wear out the plastic joint in the
tilt column after awhile, as the tilt columns were not designed for the
hard steering effort of old trucks.

I would not recommend cutting it shorter and welding the shaft
together...it is too risky in case the weld fails.

Jim