[oletrucks] Help on rear end please.

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Help on rear end please.
From: SCOTTLAWS@aol.com
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 08:18:32 EST
Hello everyone,
I was hoping to get some information on the possibility of changing rear end
ratios.  My rpms on the highway are high (3400-3600) if I want to keep up with
traffic (65-70 mph).  I have a 59 Apache stepside that now has a Chevy 350
motor and TH400 trans.  I believe the rear is the original (probably has a 4.10
or close to it)and looks as if the the rear case can be opened in the front as
well as the rear.

My question(s) are: is there a supplier of different ratio ring and pinions and
is there a complete rear rebuild kit.  I was hoping to convert to a ratio
around 3.20-3.50.

I have done a few ring and pinions swaps before on newer muscle cars and was
wondering if anyone has had experience with a vintage rear end and if there
were any main concerns that should be addressed as compared to newer more
popular rears.

Thanks a bunch
Scott