[oletrucks] manual to automatic--driveshaft, and filling a th400

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] manual to automatic--driveshaft, and filling a th400
From: J Forbes <jforbes@primenet.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 09:19:45 -0700
Hi...good to see you're making progress!

The TH400 uses a bigger yoke than the TH350...so you may get into a fun
situation finding a driveshaft that will work.  The driveshafts used
with the TH350 used two different types of ujoint, one with "outside"
clips that you can see easily, and the other with no clips originally
(plastic is injected into a groove in the yoke and cups, and you have to
break the plastic to remove the ujoint) but replacement ujoints use
clips that hide "inside" the yoke.  You will probably find the TH400
yoke that uses the "inside" clips, but you'll find that this ujoint
won't fit the stock rearend yoke.  There is a "conversion" ujoint
available to adapt this type driveshaft to the older truck's rearend...I
think the Spicer # is 5-3022X, running from memory.  You might also be
able to use this ujoint to connect the TH400 yoke to your original
driveshaft, assuming you had the 3 speed tranny, and not the 4 speed.
You may need to have the driveshaft shortened, also...don't be
surprised, and don't be too worried, I don't think I have a stock length
driveshaft in any of my older cars/trucks.

To fill a dry automatic tranny, you have to know just how dry it is.  A
completely dry (just rebuilt, with a dry rebuilt torque converter) th400
will take about a case or so (12-14 qts) of ATF.  A tranny that has only
been drained from the pan will take about 4 to 6 qts, while one that has
had the converter drained as well will take somewhere between 8-10 qts.
So, add about 4 qts, start up the truck, run thru the gears, and check
the level...add as required, repeat until you get it filled up (but not
too full!).

Jim