[oletrucks] Wheel bearings--slow down!

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Wheel bearings--slow down!
From: J Forbes <jforbes@primenet.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2000 08:14:11 -0700
Wow, I'm glad to see that everyone can tell you where to buy wheel
bearings...but someone ought to tell you to look at the ones you have
BEFORE you buy new ones!

Pull off the wheels and drums, and remove the grease seals (carefully),
then remove the bearings and clean them in solvent...and give them a
careful inspection.  If you don't see any pitted balls or pitted races,
then just pack them with grease and put them right back in!  I usually
only find one bad bearing at most when doing a brake job on my old
trucks...so I doubt you need to buy a whole set.  Those inners are
getting pretty expensive these days.

I get new wheel bearings at the local REAL parts store, they used to
stock them, but now have to order them (overnight from the big city).

Jim