[oletrucks] progress!! & misc questions

To: oletrucks <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] progress!! & misc questions
From: Dustin Cross <livnrt@uswest.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 15:57:34 -0700
over my break last week I made some definite progress on my
'51 GMC     I got my fuel tank flushed and new lines ran,
replaced the fuel pump, found out my oil pressure gauge
works but my temp doesn't, put new gaskets in the exhaust
and replaced the muffler    it sounds great, but I am having
some ignition troubles (I've never been able to set points
right!!)   I did have a quick adventure thanks to my clutch
being WAY out of adjustment and the fact I was missing one
of the throttle return springs (I'm glad I did a good job on
the brakes!!)

now for the questions...

when I pulled the manifolds off there were inserts in the
intake runners    are these just to align the manifold?
mine had apparently been run loose for a long time and was
too warped to get them to fit

I have an HEI out of a 250 I-6 that I'm intending to put in
my 270     is there a lot of modifications required?    I
have a friend who works at a machine shop, but I haven't
been able to compare the two distributors yet   is the dist
for a 270 the same as a 216 or 235?   I have a couple of
those laying around and would rather leave the one in the
270 until I swap in the HEI

couple of things I found at my local parts stores that I
didn't expect to: combo vacuum/fuel pumps (for only $50),
regular fuel pumps for $22 (no glass bowl though), a muffler
that looks pretty stock (it was meant for a f*rd) it will
even fit the original hanger!  I think it was only $23, I
found the 1/8 pipe to oil gauge fitting (new male ends for
the line from the gauge are available too)

Dustin