[oletrucks] Air Vent

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Air Vent
From: Mike Suriano <msuriano@netzero.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 07:49:05 -0500
Hi All,

   I've now started on the interior of my 59 Chevy.  With all the nice
weather, am really starting to get the fever!  As I started sanding and
wire wheeling, with the rust dust flying through the air.....ARH ARH
ARH! Everything was going great, I was actually amazed at how the ol gal
had weather over the past 40 years, until I came to my passenger side
air vent. After opening the cover to get the cable out I tried to turn
the door and the housing is rusted through.  It just crumbled in place.
Is there a way to replace the housing for this, not sure that is the
correct term or not.  It looks like this oval piece of steel that holds
the vent and cable mechanism might just come right out...I couldn't get
it to budge though. Is it welded in and does anyone know if they make
replacements for this? Am I doomed to sealing this up and just telling
the passenger to roll down their window more?  Please don't get real
technical with your reply, I'm pretty much a novice to restoration.  I
know some of you that are quite experienced use terms that I have no
clue what your talking about.  I sometimes feel like the "Rain Man"
reading your advise...."Yeah yeah, definitely a truck...definitely a
truck."  If this involves welding, talk REAL slow,  I'm the kind of guy
who glues his fingers together with crazy glue. Thanks for all the
advise in the past!

Mike