RE: [oletrucks] Time to hit the "Mother Road!"

To: "Old Chevy Truck List" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Time to hit the "Mother Road!"
From: "Ron Ramirez" <ron@chevytrucks.org>
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2000 06:29:58 -0600
John,

You'll never regret taking that trip, especially in your oletruck! Illinois
has "Historic 66" signs posted on the old route, but they are sometimes
sporadic; you have to watch what you're doing carefully or you might miss a
turn. I drove 66 last fall from Chicago to St. Louis, and I enjoyed every
minute of it even though it took ten hours(!). You have to get on I-55 three
times, for short distances each time, and to go on into Missouri you have to
get on I-270. Once you get into Missouri the Historic 66 signs disappear,
since Missouri considers the "city route" Historic 66. MO and IL need to get
co-ordinated to stop this confusion, but that's another story...

Check out this website I posted with pictures from that trip:

        http://mwembers.xoom.com/mrphilco/

I got my directions from a Belgian (!) website, which is excellent for
planning your trip:

        http://route66.netvision.be/

There are other resources on the net, including sources for (accurate) maps
of the old route. These maps are not available in stores. The National Route
66 Federation

        http://www.national66.com/

has these, as do other state organisations and vendors.

O.K., I've talked enough off-topic, but I'll mention that I plan to drive 66
from St. Louis to Oklahoma City this summer. If you plan on driving the
entire route, better plan on at least two weeks to really enjoy it.

If you have any more questions or just want to talk more about 66, ping me
off-list at

        ron@philcoradio.com
--
Ron Ramirez - ron@philcoradio.com - Providence, KY