[oletrucks] Made in the USA.

To: "Oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>,
Subject: [oletrucks] Made in the USA.
From: "Kevin D. Pennell" <oletwuk@fastrus.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2000 15:34:51 -0400
Hi all,

  I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of my '59 4x4 front axle CV Joint from
the rebuilder.  In anticipation of the great event, I headed merrily on my
way to the local NAPA store (as has been my custom for many years) to pick
up the necessary hodgepodge of bearings, races and seals necessary to put
the axle back together.  I tossed greenback after greenback across the
counter and received box after box of those wonderful little jewels that
will keep Beatrice, my '59 alive!  (Smile!)  The parts man and I went
through the obligatory manual check of all the numbers, me with the written
list and he with the bearings.  I floated out of the parts store, much
lighter in the pocketbook, but armed with most of the necessary steel...
One doesn't seem to equal the weight of the other somehow...

  On arrival at the house, I began opening all the boxes to peruse
Beatrice's new jewelry.  Timken Timken, wherefore art though Timken....  I
thought, as I opened a box..    BLAM!  I've been SHOT through the
heart!!!!!!!!

  Showa?  SKF?  What "imposters" are these???????  I ran outside to ensure
that my '59 had not transformed itself into a Mercedes or a Nissan.  No, she
is still a Chevy.  Whew.....

  So what's the deal???  I zipped back inside, shoved the mouse down into
4-wheel drive and headed off to the Timken site for a sedative.  Imagine my
surprise when I was asked to select from a choice of 6 languages before I
even reached the site?!?!?!  Are even Timken Bearings, of Canton Ohio no
longer made in the USA????   Are "Made in the USA" bearings and parts now a
special order item?  Where can I get them?  What manufacturer offers "Made
in the USA"???

  The boxes will be returned to NAPA on the morrow and I, disillusioned and
stripped of my naiveté, will have to find bearings and seals that are made
in the USA for my truck, that really was made in the USA.  Any help would be
appreciated.  (I feel like I've had my head buried in the sand....)

  Nothing personal, I just wish to use parts "Made in the USA" on my truck.

Kevin P.