[oletrucks] Project status--TF Suburban

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Project status--TF Suburban
From: MarkNoakes@aol.com
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 22:27:12 EDT
Well it's been quite a while since I reported on my 58 Suburban getting the
56 front end sheet metal upgrade. . .but since I haven't made that much
progress, I guess not much was warranted.  I have been collecting parts
including L and R NOS rear quarter sheet metal, a very good tailgate assembly
(thanks Craig!) and misc tailgate parts, and a couple of TF radios (one
restored by Eric Watson (thanks as well!). . . misc engine/trans parts, etc.
The 56 front end sheet metal and all the front end trim/grille/etc are all on
hand and ready.

We've decided to split the body from the frame. . .creeping restorationitis
is rampant.  My brother Brian will keep the body and do all of the sheet
metal cut/replace bad panels and paint. . .still red with bombay ivory trim.
He's building a rotiserrie for the body now.

I'll get the frame installed on his existing frame rotator since I can keep
that in my garage away from the neighbor's eyes and will do the
frame/drivetrain at my place.  The engine (350) will be coming down first on
a custom built cradle so that I can bolt on the 3 speed + OD trans and get
everything worked out.  (I don't know; Brian just likes to build stuff like
that for the fun of it.)  Even though it's a 350, the engine plans are still
to retro it as much as possible. . .gray of course. . .I'm going to use
crankcase venting hardware off of the early 60's vettes; you can buy that
reproduction.

I joined the NAPCO list a while back and would like to convert the Sub to
NAPCO some day. . .but for the moment am just learning all I can about the
hardware. . .at least unless/until I can buy my brother's 57 NAPCO away from
him.

Mark Noakes
58/56  Suburban
Knoxville, TN