[oletrucks] Carb Questions

To: "Oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Carb Questions
From: "Tony D'Angelo" <tonyd3@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 23:43:02 -0700
I have a 235 with a 2x1 Offenhauser manifold and and Fenton headers.  I
finally replaced my warped and leaking carbs with a pair of rebuilt
Rochesters. Following the tech article on the Inliners site, I added
insulators at the same time.

The truck idles fine.  however, when I took it out for a drive, I was
getting rapid backfiring on foot off throttle deceleration.  This got worse
the longer I drove.  Based on my limited knowledge, this would indicate a
lean burn condition, right?  I checked the carbs and they have 52 main jets
in them.  Based on the Inliners article, I wouldn't think that the jets are
too small.  Or could they be?  Could this condition be caused by an air
leak?  If so, I would assume that at idle there isn't enough air being
pulled into the system to cause a problem.  If this is true, then under
acceleration the fuel compensates for the leak.  Does this sound right?
What else would I have missed?

Tony D.