Re: [oletrucks] flex-a-lite fan for 235?

To: "Durwood B. Darbin" <dhckdkcsk@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] flex-a-lite fan for 235?
From: ADvent@thuntek.net
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 09:36:59 -0600
My 50 ½ ton has a 235. The 235's rocker arm cover is attached by four screws on
the the gasket rail, not two bolt holes through the top of the rocker arm cover.
I would guess you need to look for a different water pump pulley. There are
quite a few for the old 6 popper. The one that worked on mine looked like the
216 style. The cone shaped pulley will not work. When my pump went out, i
replaced it from Checker or Autozone for $20 and I bought a press from my local
Harbor Frieght store in town to press the flange down closer to the pump body
and used a 4" hand held grinder to lop off the extra shaft that isn't needed
anymore. I tweaked my pulley beyond use trying to get it off, so I had a Ford
pully laying around and it was twice as big as the original pulley. I was
concerned about it not cooling well. As it turned out, it now appears to cool
better. The new pump had a larger bolt pattern, so the old fan will not work
anymore. Right now, I am not running a fan at all. It hasn't overheated, yet.
The Ford fan would rub a little at the bottom. My 54 has has a 6 blade fan and
looks a little smaller in diameter. I will give that a try, sometime today. My
engine requires the pump without a backing plate.
new mexico jim
50½ ton
51 two ton dump
54 two ton for parts